What are Fortigate VDOMs(Virtual Domains)?
Well Fortigate VDOMs are like ASAs contexts, you are able to separate the firewall so it looks like you have 2, with different management and user groups. With ASA you lose some features when you enabled contexts, but in the Fortinets’ Firewall you do not lose any features.(Isn’t that just great?!)
1. Have separate routing and firewall services
2. Each physical interface belongs to only one Virtual Domains
3. By Default for the VDOMs to communicate you need an external source(Internet) to allow the communications
4. By Default 10 VDOMs are supported (in NAT or Transparent Modes)
5. The Configuration file of the Fortigate, holds all VDOM configuration. EX: AntiVirus, IPS and System Time
I. VDOM Configuration Features: